Tuesday, July 30, 2013

How Did I Miss Divergent!

I was on vacation for the last four days with my family and had plenty of time to read. I had have Divergent on my Kindle for so long that it is embarrassing to say. I thought that with a movie coming out a should give it a try. I was COMPLETELY blown away!! Divergent is the best book I have read in quite some time. Who knew, right?! I literally could not put it down. I read it in about a day and a half.

The main factor that really hooked me was to incredible world that Veronica Roth created. It is so richly detailed that when Tris is standing at the Chasm in The Pit I could hear the water moving. I was also impressed by the level of detail given to the description of each faction. It's a world where everything (and everyone) is colored coded and categorized into neat little groups. The whole concept really made me stop and think "what if...".

As for the main characters, we have Tris (formerly Beatrice) as our heroine and Four (formerly Tobias) as our hero. Both are transfers to the Dautless faction from the Abnegation faction but two years apart. I must say that Tris did work on my nerves when she kept referring to how little she was. Was it a factor in her level of badassedness? Absolutely not...so she's a small person move on! Other than this small issue I found Tris to be one of the most intriguing, gritty, and conflicted characters I have ever had the pleasure of reading about. As for Four...well he IS Four! What else can I really say about him? He's is what pretty much every girl wants in a guy...tough, silent and brooding!

The series is set to be a trilogy with the final book, Allegiant, to be released October 22, 2013. I will be sorry to see it end because I love the world!

 photo div.jpg

Divergent by: Veronica Roth
Katherine Tegen Books

No comments:

Post a Comment